Monday, June 18, 2007

Seven Things

****Updated, because I accidentally published before I finished my seven things!****

Apparently, I have been tagged by dear sweet Lisa. I get to share seven things about myself. As if the world really needs to know any more about me. This should be interesting...for me. Not necessarily interesting for others!

1. For the past year, my mind has been pretty much consumed with how to be a good caregiver. I make myself crazy all the time. Some days, when someone says, "you are such a great wife and example," I think, "yes i am! thank you for noticing!" Other days, it makes me feel awful because the real truth is that I believe that I fall FAR short of what a great wife/caregiver should be. I feel like I've faked everyone out, and then I feel all down on myself. I actually have a confession. Which is that I started a more secret blog so that I could vent some of my frustrations to people without venting to the world. But then I got all paranoid, so I haven't really vented all that much. It's not so much that the "real" blog doesn't express my true feelings. It's that about once a month I have a couple days when I just want to scream and scream and scream...and generally, those couple days do not get broadcast to the world.

2. I absolutely love, love, love, love music. I grew up playing violin and piano. I played clarinet and saxophone for several years. I learned how to play guitar, and now I'm teaching myself how to play ukulele. But even though I'm probably better than the average person walking down the street, I'm far from being a professional. I've always had this split personality with my music. Part of me wants everyone to listen to how amazing I am. The other part of me is insanely shy about playing for others. The other weird thing is that as much as I love music...my music theory skills are mediocre at best, and I'm surprisingly awful at being able to match music to titles and artists.

3. In case you haven't figured it out yet, I do not have very high self-esteem. Most days, I can get over it and feel good about myself. But sometimes that low self-esteem rears its ugly head and I feel low and get jealous of others for no good reason. Geez. I'm only at number three, and I'm sure anyone reading this is ready to send me to a shrink!

4. One of the things that I love the most about me and Joe is that we don't fit into a particular mold. We have all kinds of friends. Some would see us as being the snooty frou-frou type. Some would see us as being quite average. Some see us as being really frugal. It's really fun for us to be able to get dolled up one day and eat somewhere fancy-schmancy, but then dress random another day and eat at Wendy's. We consider ourselves people who appreciate fine things, but we don't want to live that lifestyle. It makes life more fun and interesting.

5. Despite the low self-esteem mentioned in #3, I've always been an extremely optimistic and positive person. I truly believe that I've been blessed with so much, and every day I hope that I can pass on some of the cheer that I feel onto others around me.

6. I had braces for 5 years. I went through clear brackets and metal brackets. I had little rubber bands. I had springs. I had some bar across the roof of my mouth. (Fortunately, I avoided the jaw expander thing!) I even had to sleep with a head gear for some time. When I first heard "head gear" I thought about the kid on Mr. Belvedere (does anyone remember that show?) and amost freaked out. Then I found out I only had to wear it to sleep (like Ugly Betty!) The first night, it hurt so much to put it on, I cried.

7. I love food. I just love it. Cheap food, fancy food, Italian, Chinese, Indian, Korean, Ethiopian...whatever. I love to try everything. I don't love EVERYTHING I try. But, I do love to try new things. However, I DO NOT like mushrooms. I will eat food that is cooked with mushrooms...but I try to avoid the mushrooms. If I feel really bad about leaving a pile of mushrooms on my plate though, I'll swallow them. :)

Okay...now I get to tag people. So, I'll tag the seven people who possibly read my blog! rachel, louis, obLiVyOnGiRL, Ars Subtilior, Eric, Christy, shc118. Anyone else reading this can pretend to be tagged too. hahaha. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Aww braces were no fun...I had them for 4 years...in addition to the expander and extraction of 4 teeth...

...to this day, I still wear my retainer at night :-P

lugerpitt said...

Oh, you played clarinet too?

lugerpitt said...

I thought I was safe because you only got to six :-(