Saturday, July 21, 2007

*sigh*

I've always known that it is with those who are nearest and dearest to us that we are able to show our best side...as well as our worst side. I always wanted to believe that when the nearest and dearest is facing a horrible illness that for those around that person the best side would be amplified and the worst side would be diminished. Yesterday, I learned that this is not necessarily true. Even though I have forced myself to re-frame the situation and remind myself that stress and frustration can cause people to say and do things out of the ordinary. Even though I realize that culture, personality, & experiences influence how love is expressed and received. Even though I realize that differences in communication can cause misunderstandings. It still hurts. Every time something like this happens I have to remind myself to be quick to listen, slow to anger.

1 comment:

lugerpitt said...

And such a thing as grace helps. There is a phrase that captures this "Embrace the suck" Just understanding that your reactions to things are not the prettiest after long periods of stress.